Case Study | Relocation Expenses
Tom, an employee mining electrician has just got a new job in Port Headland, WA and will need to relocate his family from QLD. He wants to save some tax to help fund the relocation costs.
- Incurs $18,000 in airfares, accomodation, and furniture transport costs relocating the family.
- Tom’s current wages income is $200,000 pa.
- Tax Strategy 9: Relocation Expenses – Salary sacrifice the $18,000 relocation costs with his new employer. The employer will reduce Tom’s first year wages by $16,364 (which is the $18,000 relocation costs less the 1/11 GST refunded to the employer).
- Tom saves $7,691 tax ($16,364 @ 47%).
- Tom saves the $1,636 GST on the $18,000 relocaction expenses incurred.
"You’d be stupid not to try to cut your tax bill and those that don’t are stupid in business"
- Bono: U2