Can I deduct the cost of travelling to see my tax agent?

Can I deduct the cost of travelling to see my tax agent?


A taxpayer can claim a deduction for the cost of travel to obtain tax advice.

This travel includes: 

  • Using a taxpayer's vehicle to visit their accountant's office. This can be calculated on a cents per km basis.
  • Out of pocket transport costs incurred, such as airfare or taxi fare.
  • Accommodation and meals incurred visiting their tax agent. (This provides the opportunity for country-based taxpayers to have a tax-deductible overnight trip to the city if they have a city-based accountant). 


  • Receipts are evidencing the expenses paid.
  • Diary evidencing kilometres travelled for tax-related purposes.
  • Need to determine whether the sole purpose of the trip is for managing tax affairs or there is a private component, so apportionment of expenses is necessary.

Similar posts you may like

  • Mauritius

    Capital city:               Port Louis      Currency:                   Martian Read more

  • Tax Savings Strategy 249 | Smartwatch

    A smartwatch is a wearable computer in the form of a wristwatch. Their functionality is similar to smartphones and includes:  Mobile apps. Mobile operating Read more

  • Liberia

    Capital city:               Monrovia    Currency:                   Liberian dollara (LRD) Read more

  • Who Uses Tax Havens?

    Tax havens can be used by individuals, small businesses, large businesses, Fortune 500 companies, governments, charities, and non-profit organisations. The numbers are staggering, with Read more

"You’d be stupid not to try to cut your tax bill and those that don’t are stupid in business"

- Bono: U2