Air-conditioning and Refrigeration Mechanics
Employment size: 26,700
Future growth: Moderate
Skill level Certificate III or IV
Air-conditioning and refrigeration mechanics assemble, install, and repair industrial, commercial and domestic air-conditioning and refrigeration systems.
Typical tax deductions:
- Travel to and from work for employees with shifting workplaces (who regularly work at more than one site each day before returning home) or transport bulky equipment (normally 20 plus kilos).
- Travel between job sites, to pick up materials, or attend training courses.
- Telephone, internet and laptop costs.
- Dogs, when used at worksites to guard the tools against theft. The purchase cost of the dog (and training fees) are not deductible as they are capital costs. In contrast, vet bills and pet food bills may qualify as a tax deduction.
- Protective clothing including safety-coloured vests, steel-capped boots, gloves, and overalls. Work clothing branded with the employer’s logo.
- Sun protection costs including sunglasses, hats and sunscreen lotions.
- Union fees, licences and registrations.
- Courses, seminars and self-education expenses.
- Tools and equipment. (Depreciate if costing more than $300 each).
- Home office running expenses.
"You’d be stupid not to try to cut your tax bill and those that don’t are stupid in business"
- Bono: U2