Tax Deductions for Engineers
Employment size: 125,400
Future growth: Strong
Skill level Bachelor Degree or higher
Engineers design, construct, and maintain products, machines, and structures.
Typical tax deductions:
- Travel to and from work, and client’s premises, while transporting bulky equipment (normally 20 or more kilos).
- Travel between various building sites and places of work.
- Overnight and overseas travel for work purposes including airfares, meals and accommodation.
- Mobile phone, internet and home office costs.
- Protective clothing, including sun-protection clothing, safety-coloured vests, steel-capped boots, gloves, overalls and wet weather gear.
- Renewal fees for machinery operating licences.
- Courses, seminars and self-education expenses.
- Tools and equipment, if less than $300 each are immediately deductible. Whereas if they are over $300 they are depreciable.
- Unions fees, memberships and subscriptions (work related).
- Drivers licence.
"You’d be stupid not to try to cut your tax bill and those that don’t are stupid in business"
- Bono: U2