Average weekly pay: $1,600
Employment size: 67,400
Future growth: Strong
Skill level: Associates degree or diploma
Typical tax deductions:
- Motor vehicle travel between different worksites - e.g. police stations.
- Fitness expenses if the job requires a fitness level well above the police general standard - e.g. for a physical training instructor, members of special emergency squads, and diving squads.
- Phone and internet - work %.
- Police uniform, bulletproof jacket, protective clothing and physical training clothing - if unique and distinctive to the Police Department.
- Conventional clothing worn by undercover police officers.
- Payments made to informants including cash, food, cigarettes, etc. - provided that the payments are authorised by the police service and not reimbursed.
- Computers, tools and equipment - includes guns, ammunition, bulletproof jackets and vests, body armour, gauntlets, holsters, handgrips, handcuffs, holders, pouches, utility belts, gun cleaning materials, equestrian related equipment, and diving equipment.
- Cost of maintaining and training police dogs.
- Union fees, licences, registrations and subscriptions - includes Police union fees and Federal Police pistol club membership fees.
- Home office running expenses.
- Sun protection costs including sunglasses, sunscreens and cosmetics.
- Self education expenses.
- Costs of maintaining guard dogs or installing security systems for the protection of police officers and their families.
- Gym fees to maintain personal fitness.
- Haircuts, grooming, weight loss programs or supplies - even though the police force has specific regulations