Upselling can involve marketing more profitable services or products, or just exposing the customer to other options that were not considered. Upselling is more successful when the up sellers know more about the individual customer and understands what the customer values and wants. This information includes the customer's background, budget, preferences, interests, and previous buyer history.
The secret to successful upselling is:
- Make the upsell after the original purchase.
- Make the upsell relevant to the customers original purchase.
- Limit upselling recommendations. i.e. only one or two.
- Discount the products/services in the upsell.
- Successful upselling begins with a solution to their problems – always add value.
- Never try and upsell items that are more than 25% of the original order.
"You’d be stupid not to try to cut your tax bill and those that don’t are stupid in business"
- Bono: U2