Operating your business from home is an option if you spend most of your time working at client premises, deal with clients predominantly over the phone & internet, or just need a small office. Operating from home reduces your rental costs to nil.
The main advantages of operating the business from home are:
- Reduces rental costs to nil.
- No commuting to work - saving time and transport costs.
- Improved concentration and productivity due to less office based distractions.
- Flexible work hours and the ability to work when you are personally the most productive.
The main disadvantages of operating the business from home are:
- Difficult to keep work and home life separate.
- Many clients or customers will not use the services of a home based business as they deem them unprofessional and inferior.
- Lack of personal contact with businesses and people.
- Subject to domestic distractions and disruptions.
- Easy to work excessive hours.
- Consider whether your business could be successfully operated from home. Weight the pros with the cons.
- If operating from home set rules for yourself and instill discipline just as you would in an office.
- Minimize distractions by establishing your office in a spare room that can be dedicated strictly to your business.
- Get out of the office and visit clients, network events, and attend training.